Sunday, April 8, 2012

Something New

I've just had the Rangitikei Hunt Club use part of the farm for a hunt, the 450ac odd rolling to hill in the middle of the place, at the urging of neighbours Michael and Lynette, who host the hunt from their place.
Not without a bit of stress, worrying about what people would think, old carcases I'd been remiss in cleaning up over the years, fences needing attention, usual story, lining up a tourist route before letting a bunch of sightseers loose.
Further, I have to declare myself a bit of a hare lover, they're a real institution on a farm, always been there in an in-offensive life way.
But I needn't have worried too much, got the litter cleaned up in time, pushed the beef herd into the back paddocks, and ran the whole flock home the night before, for their tupping sort-up and drench, so that I could open all the gates to give the riders best of access.
You learn something every day, hares flee in about a 1km arc around their territory, rather than outright straight-line, ending up back "home", so my 450 ac circuit offering of a bit of flat and hill, gullies, and some sprayed gorse cover, turned out a happy ideal for them.
Even I was grateful to hear the Hunt Master spared the odd tired hare, to go seek fresher, more exciting quarry for the punters, they actually put up five in the couple hours, which in itself was a bit of a revelation, I havent seen hide nor hare of a hare for months.
In my ignorance I carried on drenching the ewes when they finished, and missed being on hand for the ritual thanking of property owners, hope I didnt appear too rude.
I'd sort of imagined there'd be a bit of a carry-on well into the evening, but apparently not so these days. A good hunter's worth a small fortune, so theyre not left tied up to the horse-truck while owners get on the turps, and like with all rural social occasions, drink-driving laws have brought about a sea-change in social behaviour.
Yes, I'd do it again.
Bit of stress cleaning up the place, but then that's probably to the good, and the early April date works in pretty well with my tupping muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment